Another Piece of Charity-Shop Furniture gets a Revamp
If I was American I would say that I ‘upcycled’ this piece of furniture, but I’m not, so I won’t. I gave it a revamp, updated it, and brought it in line with my personal taste. To call it an ‘upcycle’ is a pretty accurate description actually.
We found this old dresser in a charity shop a few months ago, it was covered in a hideous orange-yellow varnish, sloppily applied in thick brush strokes many years ago by someone who didn’t care if they left thick dark drips of varnish to dry around the edges. Not much to look at, but it provided the storage space we were looking for and only cost us £20, so we bought it.
After making the mistake of not using a wood primer when I painted this chest of drawers, I was a bit more organised and went out and bought some wood primer, as well as a tester pot of lovely grey-green paint to paint the back of the shelves with. After sanding the whole thing to within an inch of its life, I painted it using two coats of primer followed by two coats of white silk emulsion, apart from the back of the shelves which I painted in the green colour.
Whilke I was waiting for the coats of paint to dry, I searched Ebay for some new knobs for the dresser, to help with the revamp and add a more finished touch. I got lucky and found some lovely antique-effect knobs in a dusty green colour, it was very exciting when they arrived!
I was very pleased with the end result, after all the hard work of sanding, painting, waiting for coats of paint to dry, and painting some more, the dresser was ready for the finishing touches of attaching the knobs to the two drawers and two doors, and…wow…I was very pleased indeed! Have a look for yourself:
Total cost of this revamp:
£20 for the dresser
£7 for the wood primer
£12 for 4 knobs
£1.99 for a tester pot of green paint
The white silk paint was from a very large pot I already had.
Total cost: £41