Project One Hundred and Eleven: A Market Stall Display Tree. The Final project!
Wow. I can’t believe I am actually posting this, it doesn’t feel like a year already since I started! Way back in January when I set myself the challenge of completing 111 projects in 2011 I never imagined it would be as smooth a ride as it has been. Because, contrary to what some of my loyal readers might think of me, I am actually really bad at following through with things I start, and throughout my life have started many things that I have never finished. I have great ambition, great inspiration and motivation when it comes to thinking up new things to try, but somehow once I have started a project the excitement wanes, I loose interest, and suddenly something that started out as fun becomes a chore. My parents with testify to this, even in my childhood. I have also always started new things before finishing old ones, another habit that contributed to all my unfinished projects. So, this habit of not finishing things was what inspired me to start this blog, with the challenge in it. I knew that if other people were witnessing, I would be more motivated to finish things. I thought it would be hard, I thought I would have to really force myself to finish things and blog about them, but actually, over the months, and with all the supportive comments of my readers, I found it easier and easier, and now, as I write this, I finds myself wondering if my challenge of 111 projects was actually a little too reserved and easy? Hmmm. Maybe not. In fact, no, it wasn’t, I have just become more disciplined, more thorough, and more determined to do things properly, finishing projects, photographing them, documenting them and sharing them online.
I have really enjoyed this year of projects, even through the manic weeks leading up to having my stall at the Made-It Market, and really enjoyed blogging about them all. I have learnt a lot along the way, and my sewing skills in particular have improved hugely, far beyond what I originally thought I was capable of. I couldn’t have done it without all the amazing tutorials and blogs I used for inspiration and help, and certainly wouldn’t have got as much enjoyment out of writing up all my projects if it weren’t for all my dedicated followers who left so many inspiring and lovely comment s(you know who you are!). After all of this, I hope I, in turn, have inspired and helped other creative people out there, who maybe also find it hard to finish projects they start. If I can do it, you can too! If, like I was, you find sewing quite hard and think you’re not very good, believe me, keep trying, and you will get better. The more you do, the more you try, the more you attempts new things (and get them wrong), the more you have to rip out seams and start again, the better you will get. It’s like driving. Really really scary at first, then with time and practice, becomes second nature.
So, on to the project! I made this with the help of my lovely dad as a tree to display all my baubles on at my stall at the Made-It market. It was quite straightforward to make really, we used a big square of sleeper wood as the base, my dad chiseled a square hole in the top of it the same diameter as my main piece of wood, and I cut all the pieces of wood to size and then drilled the holes in the main square piece of wood for my doweling to go through to make the branches. I’m no woodworker so have no idea what the correct technical terms are for what I did, but it all worked 🙂
We used scraps of wood from my dad’s collection in the shed, some wood glue that I already had left over from my shoe cubby, and some old garden twine I found in my parent’s shed, so no cash was parted with in the making of this display tree, yay! In hindsight, i could have done things differently, mainly with regards to the dowel branches. For some reason I cut each branch I needed, and then pushed it halfway through the hole I had drilled in the main piece of wood, when really I should have just cut one long piece of doweling and pushing it through the hole to give me two branches either side. I recommend that is what you do if you want to make one of these for your craft fair stall.
It would have made sense to push one long piece of doweling through this hole right? I don’t know why I didn’t think of it before cutting up my doweling though! I wrapped twine around the joins to hide them, especially as there was a bit of a gap between some of them.
You can see the finished display tree in all it’s glory in the last photo, at the Made-It market, full of baubles and crystal snowflakes. I really enjoyed making this, and would like to do more woodwork and get better at it. I think one of the things I would like to learn more about next is carpentry and woodwork, that might be something I focus on in the new year.
Next year, I won’t be setting myself any specific number of challenges, I would just like to learn some skills that take more time and effort (like carpentry) and get better and those sorts of things. I have lots of vague ideas for projects and challenges and new things I could sink my teeth into in 2012, but I will wait to write about those, I think it requires a whole other post.
If any of my regular readers were worried I would stop blogging now that I have reached my target, don’t worry, I have no intention of stopping yet! You can expect more tutorials on my blog next year, more quality and less quantity when it comes to projects, not to mention plenty more Astonishing Splashes of Colour posts (I haven’t even started on the double colour posts yet!). I am going to try to train myslef to be more organised next year too, so I may blog about my attempts at organisation.
I would like to wish all my readers a very happy new year, full of creativity, resourcefulness,inspiration, love and fun, challenges and ambition!