Skip to content

Project Eighty Three: A Pair of Beach Shorts, Just as Summer Draws to a Close

August 31, 2011

It has taken me ages to actually make these shorts, despite great intentions that started sometime in March. I don’t know why, but when it comes to making clothes for myself, I take ages to actually muster up the courage and enthusiasm to see a project through to completion.

So, anyway, I used my favourite pair of linen shorts to make a template for these handmade shorts, finally got round to making the paper pattern, a few days later used the pattern to cut the fabric, and then a week later actually started sewing. It didn’t take long to attach the four leg pieces and put in a front zipper, and then, before attaching a waistband I tried them on, and they were almost too tight to even get on😦. I couldn’t figure out what had gone wrong, the shorts I used for the template fit me perfectly, I added a seam allowance around my pattern and was really careful with measuring. Then Mr. B pointed out that it was probably because I had used a stiff cotton fabric with no give in it, and my original shorts were made of soft flowey linen with more give.

Unfortunately I had already hemmed up the bottom of the shorts (the design has a nice fold up bottom hem that I had to make before sewing the legs together), so it took me a while to think of a way to save the shorts and make them bigger. Eventually I figured I would just unpick the outside seams and add some red piping and another panel of fabric about 1″ wide to each outside leg. Remember when I lost my seam ripper and frantically posted about it here? Well, that was right in the middle of trying to unpick the outside leg seams so that I could get to work on making the shorts fit me.

I finally finished the shorts, adding a waistband with the same spotty red fabric on the inside as I used for the piping down the sides, and the shorts fit, but I am not as excited about them as I thought I would be. I don’t know why really, perhaps it is the cold Autumnal air that has descended on us, and the knowledge that I won’t be wearing these shorts for at least another eight months. I really don’t like it when summer ends. The nights are already drawing in. I need o get on with making that quilt.

fake side pockets for the shorts

front fly zip, from the inside

and from the outside

the turned-up bottoms, before the outside legs were sewn together

all finished, with the extra side panels making them bigger

close up of the side panels

and from the back

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

K&Q Vintage Crockery

An exquisite collection of high quality vintage crockery for hire.

craftyteuchter

Random musings of a Highland mum and crafter

The Polished Button

vintage inspired sewing...

gamesmadeeasy

Smile! You’re at the best WordPress.com site ever

A Year on the Make

365 days of stitching, knitting and creating

Party Spanner

I like to party (I am a spanner)

%d bloggers like this: