Project Eighty One: A Green Felt Jacket for a Teddy Bear
The Boy has a bear, and his name is Red. He loves this bear, and it accompanies us almost everywhere. Red has a wardrobe collection that would make most other bears envious, consisting of The Boy’s old extra-small premature baby clothes (he was tiny when he was born, ten weeks early). However, as this wardrobe consists almost entirely of babygrows and little knitted cardigans, The Boy wanted to make his bear some smarter clothes, so we started with a jacket.
I helped the boy trace the bear’s existing jacket onto some paper, showing how to just trace each panel of fabric. He drew out one back panel, two front panels and two sleeves this way. I then got him to add a quarter-inch seam allowance around all of his patterns and cut them out. Once he had done that he pinned the paper patterns onto the green felt we were using and cut them out. I then helped him use my sewing machine to sew the front panels onto the back panel and then figure out how to attach the sleeves. The sleeves were the trickiest part of this but eventually, working together, we got them attached too. Once that was done The Boy sifted through my button jar and picked out two brown buttons for the jacket. He then got to use my button-hole foot on the sewing machine to sew in two button holes, and he was done!
Never have I seen The Boy so satisfied with something he has made, or so careful and dedicated while he was making it. The Boy really seems to have grown up a lot over the summer holidays, persevering a lot more, concentrating and focussing for longer periods of time, and getting enjoyment out of taking his time and doing things well, it is lovely to see.