Skip to content

Project Sixty: How to Make a Roll-Up Spanner Case

June 10, 2011

This was a great project to work on! Mr. B asked me a while ago if I could make a case for his set of spanners, and I finally got around to designing and then sewing one. It took me ages to find the right fabric, but eventually I found some green heavy canvas fabric that would be perfect for the job. I decided to go for a roll-up style case that lays flat when open displaying all the spanners in size order.

Here’s what I did to make this:

1. I measured the set of spanners, when lined up next to each other, spaced equally about half an inch apart. I then added 3 inches to this measurement and cut out two rectangles.

2. I measured the length of the smallest spanner and the length of the longest spanner and then cut out an irregular quadrilateral with the top edge slanting up from the smallest spanner measurement to the longest.

3. Next I cut out long strips of black fabric 2 inches wide for the binding to go around the case. I didn’t bother cutting it on the bias as there were no curves it needed to go around. I then covered the raw edge of the slanting top of the slanted piece of fabric with the black binding.

4. Now I basted the slanted piece of fabric to one of the rectangles of fabric and then sewed a straight line all the way along the bottom of the two pieces of fabric one inch from the bottom. I had already allowed for this in my measurements. I then put all the spanners inside the flap to make sure they fit! (they did, phew).

5.Next I started to mark out the lines for the individual spanner pockets. I used chalk and my quilting ruler and used the spanners to accurately measure each pocket. I left a gap of half an inch between most of the pockets, and an inch between the two largest spanners.

6. I topstitched over the chalk lines, making sure to also stitch at the top of the gaps between each pocket.

7. I used my printer to print off some numbers and Mr. B’s initials on some t-shirt transfer paper. I then numbered each pocket to correspond with the size of spanner it was for, ironing on the numbers. I also made a label for the front of the spanner case with Mr. B’s initials and my Monarch label.

8. I then fitted two magnetic clasps to the top and bottom left corners of the case so far. Once these were in place I pinned the second rectangle of fabric to the underside of the fabric with the spanner pockets on it, wrong sides together, then inserted all the spanners into their pockets and rolled the case up, starting at the right hand side. Once it was rolled up I market where the other sides of the magnetic clasps needed to be placed to keep the case closed and fitted the magnetic clasps here (just to the outer rectangle of fabric this time).

While the case was still rolled up, I took some of my black binding that I had made and cut it to size so that it would go around the rolled up case and tie in a bow.  I then pinned and marked this fabric strip in place on the outermost piece of fabric. Once that was market up I unrolled the case, took out the spanners, unpinned the outer rectangle of fabric and sewed my binding strip in place.

9. I then sewed my label onto the top corner of the outer rectangle of fabric.

10. Now I pinned my outer piece of fabric back onto the underside of my spanner pocket fabric, wrong sides facing, and basted along all four sides, close to the edge.

11. Once all three layers were basted together I started to sew the binding in place, exactly how you would sew bias binding onto something.

12. All finished! I was exceedingly proud at how well this spanner case turned out, and of course Mr. B is very chuffed!

9 Comments leave one →
  1. June 11, 2011 8:58 am

    Yes, I want one for my saws! The same, only bigger.

  2. Sonia permalink
    June 11, 2011 7:59 pm

    Sheer genius. Graham’s spanner roll is in dull cream canvas. AND I love the sloping pockets to hold the largest to smallest spanners and the numbering. Pure genius!

  3. June 14, 2011 9:39 am

    That is gorgeous, a lovely gift for Fathers Day

  4. May 24, 2012 8:11 am

    Isn’t it amazing what you find on the Internet! I’ve come down this morning to find DH has drawn around all his spanners before going to work, so he really wasn’t joking about wanting a spanner cosy. I thought I was going to have to adapt a knitting needle case, then had a quick search on spanner rolls, just in case- and here it is! and it looks really good, esp the diagonal pocket. It’s going to look lovely in yellow gingham….

    • May 24, 2012 3:11 pm

      Glad you found my tutorial and good luck with making one, yes I agree it will look lovely in yellow gingham!

Trackbacks

  1. Project Sixty Two: Another Spanner Case, this time with Raindeer. « so resourceful
  2. Project Sixty Seven: A Personalised Drawstring Bag for a Boy « so resourceful
  3. All Ready for my First Ever Craft Fair! « so resourceful

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

K&Q Vintage Crockery

An exquisite collection of high quality vintage crockery for hire.

craftyteuchter

Random musings of a Highland mum and crafter

The Polished Button

vintage inspired sewing...

gamesmadeeasy

Smile! You’re at the best WordPress.com site ever

A Year on the Make

365 days of stitching, knitting and creating

Party Spanner

I like to party (I am a spanner)

%d bloggers like this: