My Bedroom Plan of Action: Let the Decorating Begin!
Today is officially the start of the bedroom masterplan. As of today I am kicking my arse into gear and getting started. Here is a vague list of what I am going to do, not necessarily in this order:
- Buy supplies. For me, half the battle when faced with big projects is actually getting the supplies I need. So first thing this morning I will be buying: paint, white for the walls and a number of coloured tester pots for the chest of drawers; wooden rails to fix the chest of drawers; sandpaper to attack the furniture with; a balloon, piping cord and pva glue to make my lampshade; and possibly some new larger knobs for the furniture.
- Sort all the clothes out and ruthlessly get rid of anything I haven’t worn for the last two years. Bag up for charity shops any items that are still in good condition, sort the rest for items that I can reuse or make into other things (or bin). Remember that the aim of this is to reduce what I have, not keep it! This may be hard. Must have willpower.
- Start to paint the bedroom walls, one wall at a time.
- While paint is drying, mend the broken chest of drawers.
- Paint the chest of drawers multicoloured, using the tester pots. Not sure yet whether to keep knobs wooden or paint white (or grey?). Will have a play and see what I like.
- Once walls are painted, rearrange the furniture and hang my lovely white mirror.
- Paint my wardrobe white. I anticipate this to be a hard and time-consuming task, so would like to have painted the bedroom walls before I start on this project.
- Construct my lampshade using a balloon, piping cord and pva glue.
- Think of what to do in the way of art for the bedroom. We need something to go on the wall over the bed. I have a large collection of frames just waiting to be filled. Just need some inspiration!
Timeframe: Are we talking ideally or realistically? I’d like to say one month, from start to finish, but ideally more like two weeks. But alas real life will get in the way, work, school, climbing, trips to the park for skateboard practice… so I’m going to try to relax with this project and do it in my own time, fitting it in with everything else rather than letting it take over. I have the Easter holiday coming up soon, so that will give me plenty of time.
I will be posting periodically with updates, but am trying to be more routine in my posting so it doesn’t take over and eat into my time too much.